Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> writes:

>> Over the last couple of weeks, I've amused myself with doing a
>> clean-slate implementation of the Babel protocol in the Bird routing
>> daemon
>
> Excellent news, Toke. I've had a first read over your code, and it
> looks almost correct (I have some minor nits). I'll read it again, and
> do a detailed review with stupid questions about the bits I don't
> understand.

Thanks. I'll look forward to your comments :)

> For the record, while Toke and I are friends, this is a completely
> independent implementation of the IPv6 subset of RFC 6126 together
> with Appendices A and B (I once looked over Toke's shoulder when he
> was hacking at it, and he quickly shooed me away).

Yes, can confirm. Juliusz has likewise been most insistent on not giving
any hints. Most annoying, making me read like that...

> I may be biased, but in my experience the only tricky bit in the
> protocol is reacting to starvation. Everytime I touch this code, I put
> a router in the middle of the network then increase the cost to all
> neighbours, and check that seqno requests behave according to spec. If
> they don't, you'll notice right away -- either there'll be a request
> storm, or your routes will remain unreachable for a long time.

Well, basically taking the above paragraph and putting it in an appendix
as "things to test for" would be useful. I.e. some list of "make sure
these scenarios work and you should be set".

For the packet format, I targeted having wireshark agree with me on the
contents of the packets. That was fairly straight forward.

> If anybody knows how to write a test suite for a routing protocol, I'm
> interested. I imagine a set of scripts that set up some virtual
> machines and perform some tests, but I have trouble imagining how it
> could perform a test such as the one described above.

The CORE emulator might be useful in this regard:
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/itd/ncs/products/core

> Impressive. I'll dust some old laptops, and we'll do some more serious
> testing when you come to Paris.

It'll be instructive, annoying and fun, I expect :)

-Toke