Hi Juliusz

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek <
j...@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:

> > Ted, I asked a question about a feature that is considered critical in
> > every routing environment that I am familiar with.
>
> I think that we all have different pictures of what a homenet will look
> like.  Some of us appear to believe that homenets will predominantly
> consist of wired links with a few WiFi access points at the edges, while
> others (including myself) think that as soon as we give the hungry masses
> the ability to build self-configuring networks that are efficiently routed
> at layer 3, people will start building networks where wireless is used for
> transit.
>
> This is exciting stuff, Alia, more exciting than some of the contributors
> to this list seem to realise.

Absolutely on the exciting stuff and on the ability to make a real impact.
On the different pictures, I agree totally & that's why I'm poking a little
into
assumptions & requirements.

> Now the only goal of ECMP is to improve performance.  If the homenet uses
> only wired links for transit, then ECMP is easy to do, whether in IS-IS or
> in Babel.  If, however, the homenet is using multiple mutually interfering
> radio links for transit, then a naive implementation of ECMP will actually
> decrease performance due to interference (cross-link collisions).  Doing
> ECMP in the particular case of non-interfering paths (e.g. wired paths)
> should be safe, and the radio interference extension to Babel should
> already carry all the required information.
>
> Thankfully, ECMP does not have to be a Homenet requirement -- if the ECMP
> extension is backwards compatible (and there's no reason why that
> shouldn't be the case), then we can simply leave it as an implementation
> option, and let the market decide.
>
> I realise you're impatient to see ECMP in Homenet, Alia, but my main
> priorities right now are to satisfy the requirements of the IETF
> secretariate wrt. the Babel extension drafts (I've missed the IANA
> requirements in one of the drafts), getting shncpd into shape for
> integration into Debian, and helping with the Babel/Bird implementation --
> and teaching starts in two weeks!  Please give me a few months until
> things calm down a little.

Actually, I don't have a strong opinion on whether ECMP is needed in
homenet!
That's why I'm asking - but I'm hoping for technical reasons and trying to
understand
why the interference isn't a general problem.  Perhaps it's just because
for ECMP/multi-path,
there is a choice and trade-off to be examined as to the improvement.

I'm sure you are busy!

Regards,
Alia