Hi Mike,

Yeah, you have to dog-leg through a provider that you don’t trust. Because the
providers you don’t trust are the only things that home automation device
manufacturers are assured by the actual existing Internet will be reachable
from arbitrarily located remote mobile handsets.

Home automation controllers and similar servers on home networks will not
generally be reachable from arbitrarily located remote mobile handsets without
some kind of standard solution to the problem described in section 3.4, Passive
Listeners of RFC 6092, which is widely deployed now in most residential IPv6
gateways. Note also that REC-49 of that document is also widely ignored in most
implementations, certainly enough implementations that it cannot serve as a
dependable mechanism. It’s also important that REC-48 has mostly gone without
further attention since, and that certainly adds additional complications.

Look on the bright side! Consider the possibilities that open before you when
there is a 3rd-party provider that everyone can trust!

--james woodyatt <j...@google.com <mailto:j...@google.com>>