> On Jan 30, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 30, 2017 12:44 PM, "Ralph Droms" <rdroms.i...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdroms.i...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Name resolution APIs MUST send queries for such name to a recursive DNS
> server configured to be authoritative for the .homenet zone appropriate to
> the home network.  This RDNSS or list of RDNSSes will usually be supplied to
> the client through a local configuration mechanism like HNCP or DHCP.  If a
> host is configured to use a resolver other than one that is authoritative for
> the appropriate .homenet zone, the client may be unable to resolve or receive
> incorrect results for names in sub domains of ".homenet".
>
> The problem with this is that you're asking the resolver to know that it is
> talking to a homenet.   I would rather describe the problem than write
> normative text that fixes it.

Ah, of course, I see your point.  On the other hand "MUST send queries for such
names to their configured caching DNS server(s)" seems to me to have no content
- what else would the client API do but send queries to the configured servers?

2nd try:

Name resolution APIs and libraries MUST NOT recognize names that end in
'.homenet.' as special and MUST NOT treat them differently.  Name resolution
APIs will only resolve such a name correctly if the query is sent to a
recursive DNS server configured to be authoritative for the .homenet zone
appropriate to the home network.  This RDNSS or list of RDNSSes will usually be
supplied to the client through a local configuration mechanism like HNCP or
DHCP.  If a host is configured to use a resolver other than one that is
authoritative for the appropriate .homenet zone, the client may be unable to
resolve or receive incorrect results for names in sub domains of ".homenet".

- Ralph