On 31 Aug 2017, at 0:49, Mark Andrews wrote:

In message <7561b4dc-2695-4a2a-b61c-c8acd7431...@fugue.com>, Ted Lemon writes:

On Aug 29, 2017, at 10:03 PM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
Yes. As far as I know the text gives IANA the information they need to do; I do not know how they operate their black hole servers, so I am
trusting that these instructions are sufficient.   They have been
reviewed by people who understand this problem better than I do, like
Andrew Sullivan, Paul Hoffman and Mark Andrews.   I was specifically
advised not to overspecify this. I would rather take their word on this
than yours, if you will forgive my saying so. :)

Argh. Warren made me look more closely, and you were right. Sorry for doubting. :] Here is the new text for the IANA considerations section:

        IANA is further requested to create a new subregistry within the
        "Locally-Served DNS Zones" registry <xref target="LSDZ"/>, titled
        "Transport-Independent Locally-Served DNS Zones", with the same
        format as the other subregistries.  IANA is requested to add an
        entry in this new registry for 'home.arpa.' with the description
"Homenet Special-Use Domain", listing this document as the reference.

It is up to IANA as to how they implement the delegation.

I could be wrong, but I think it is up to the IAB how they implement the delegations in .arpa. The sentences above are just about the registry, not about the DNS.

--Paul Hoffman