On Wed, 13 Mar 2019, Ted Lemon wrote:

In Bangkok I gave a talk about what Homenet gets right, what new solutions have emerged in the market since homenet started, and what is better about those solutions, as well as what homenet still adds. I’ve written up a document that discusses this in a bit more depth, and would appreciate feedback. It’s not very long, and should be a pretty easy read—it would be great if we could start talking about this before the meeting, so that when we get to the meeting we can have an informed discussion and maybe decide on a way forward if that seems warranted.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lemon-homenet-review-00
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lemon-homenet-review-00>

Thanks for doing this, it's a valuable write-up. I agree with what's written in the draft, but I missed some parts that would involve DHCPv6-PD. I have done this myself and it's very useful to be able to stack several routers deep into the home, for instance for L2 isolation of devices (I had a real problem involving Spanning Tree that I wanted to solve this way, and it worked well). Doing this with non-HOMENET routers expands the number of devices one can support.

I especially agree with the statement on wifi roaming between APs does require shared L2, and there has been discussions about this and how to solve that, and I think it's a requirement for homenet to become a useful solution in that space. This would probably require some kind of tunneling or vlan encapsuatlion between homenet devices to be controlled somehow. There are routing protocols out there that already do this, can perhaps be used as inspiration.

Looking at the kind of devices typically available to people, most of them are SoCs with 2 NIC ports, one connected to a WAN port and one to a switch that then provides multiple ports. This doesn't lend itself very well to arbitrary topologies, but it does lend itself well to creating trees. Here the service discovery proxies and turning off firewalls/NAT of HOMENET is very useful. I also think it's useful for wired devices to have the L3 isolation that HOMENET design calls for, but we also need to support L2 domains across APs (multiple probably, as people also like to have isolation between different SSIDs).

There is now work in the IETF on IoT onboarding etc, does HOMENET have mechanisms that can be used there or the other way around?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se