Hi Jerry,

First of all, thanks for your efforts and for your report.

> I have been trying to build bigloo 4.3e for the Fedora Linux
> distribution, but I have encountered some problems.
>
> First, the test suite segfaulted on s390x in the call/cc tests.  Some
> gdb work showed that the stack was overflowing and overwriting parts
> of the heap.  I tried adding to the computed stack size to see if the
> problem could be worked around.  I discovered that adding 256 bytes is
> not enough, and that adding 1024 bytes does let the test suite
> complete normally.  I do not know why the computed size is too small.
> I can try to narrow that window down if that would be helpful.
Ah. This part of having call/cc correct with C has always been a nightmare.
Unless you absolutely need call/cc I propose that for now we concentrate
on other problems.

> I then went on to build hop.  Part of the problem here may be that I
> don't know which hop sources go with bigloo 4.3e.  It looks like no
> hop tarballs have been created for some time.  I attempted to build
> the latest commit on the 3.1.x branch, dated November 28, 2018.  On an
> x86_64 machine, the hop binary segfaults the first time it is invoked.
> The segfault is inside libgc, below GC_init_parallel(), and happens
> because some internal thread-related structures are accessed, but
> GC_thr_init() has not been invoked to initialize them.  I do not know
> where GC_thr_init() should have been invoked, but it didn't happen.  I
> am using the custom gc that comes with bigloo.
>
> I don't know how to debug this further.  Do you have a working bigloo
> 4.3e + hop combination?  If so, which hop sources did you use and how
> did you configure both bigloo and hop?
Sorry for the confusion. Since about 2 years I'm mostly developing Hop
3.2.0 and I'm only fixing bugs on the 3.1.x branch. I'm surprised that
you have had problem compiling it and executing it on x86_64 because
these is the platform most users use. In particular, for HipHop
(a Hop DSL) I'm using the github continuous integration service that use
that very architecture. Following the exact same procedure should let you
build an operational Hop system. You can check it:

  https://github.com/manuel-serrano/hiphop/blob/master/.travis.yml

Please let me know if this helps.

> (Please also see the attached patch for hop.  It fixes complaints by
> closure-compiler about malformed "in" expressions.)
I will check it at once. Thank you.

Sincerely,

--
Manuel

ps: As so persons have noticed, it is still difficult to bootstrap Bigloo
from the github version so I have decided to re-start uploading unstable
Bigloo version. The current one is available here:

ftp://ftp-sop.inria.fr/indes/fp/Bigloo/bigloo4.3f-alpha29Jan19.tar.gz