Hello!

I am back from the Western US Horn Symposium.  Congratulations to Bill
Bernatis of UNLV for organizing and hosting such a wonderful event!

Now for my reply to Hans.

I was very curious about why people dont use self examination if they would
fit the requirements. Most of these have no idea at all what to expect in
this kind of a job. Do you, Karen, believe, this particular candidate would
ever learn to perform a perfect Fidelio or Arabella, never having been in a
similar demanding situation ? How curious.>
Hans, if you re-read the initial email I sent, you will see that I agreed
that this woman obviously did not have enough professional experience to be
considered for a spot in your section.

I do not believe a woman should be given the opportunity to audition for
your orchestra simply because she is a woman.  Under the audition guidelines
for your orchestra, that would be silly.

My point was that you emphasized the fact that this candidate *also* would
not be acceptable for your section because she was a divorced mother of four
children.  That, in and of itself, is considered discrimination.  I
understand that this is not the primary reason that she was discounted.
However, you brought it up and later claimed that you don't discriminate, so
I felt it needed to be addressed.

If - God beware - such a candidate would have to be hired by legal
pressure, it would be a suicide situation for this player or at least
nervous breakdown. But it would be worse for the section: we could predict
her ill leave & leave because of childrens problems. Who would have to
shoulder the duties she would miss ? The section. But we have enough to do
with our own duties.>
As I stated, I don't think she should be hired simply because she is a
woman.  However, the way you state the above comment implies that a divorced
mother of four children who had years of experience playing in a high-level
orchestra would be banned from auditioning because *you* assume she doesn't
know how to deal with her family situation.  I don't see that as being fair.

Hans, you have children.  I'm certain there were times over the past 30
years when your children became ill.  That didn't seem to affect your job
performance, did it?  Why assume that it will affect a woman's job
performance?  Because she is a single mother?  You are assuming that this
woman is not involved in a relationship with a person who shoulders some of
the parental responsibility.  You yourself married a woman who had a child
before you married her!

In Europe, at least the countries I have worked, it is obligate, that
candidates send a curriculum vitae together with the application for the
job. How should we know about experience otherwise or about the person ? A
picture must be sent also, as it happen, that some "clever" people sent a
"deputy" to the audition to win the job for them, difficult for the horn,
but might work for strings etc. So it is good, enabling "face control". And
it is obligate to inform about the availability, when to be ready for the
new job, but informing beforehand. Also, about the working permit status,
if not a citizen of one of the E.U. member states.>
Is a person's love life a required part of the curriculum vitae or
application?  I find it odd that you even were aware of this woman's marital
status and that she has four children.

By the way, Karen, we have about 35% women in our orchestra with increasing
tendency. The best candidate in our recent horn audition for deputy first
horn (60% first, 40% third & tuba) was a 28years lady, who played both
concerti perfectly, but did not make it too, as her sound did not please
many players incl. woodwinds. But she will get another chance at the next
audition & has been told to change to a fuller & warmer sound & "open her
heart" to produce more expression. I reported this to the list also - just
to remember you, remaining fair to me. We do not discriminate because of
gender - it seems a certain phobia on your side. Sorry.>
What if this particular woman had two children and was not married?  Based
on your comments on this topic, I wonder if she would have been invited to
the audition at all, regardless of her past experience.

Is it just you, who thinks about being better than the winner, is it just
you who assumes gender discrimination ? Isnīt there a certain number of
obviously very good female colleagues, who just not made it to the point in
several auditions, where male colleagues were hired after two or three
final rounds of close-up in-fight, and these female colleagues start
blaming us male jury members of gender discrimination ? This is very unfair
indeed and does not reflect the actual situation.>
I've never personally known a woman who made it to the finals and complained
of gender discrimination when a man won the job.  I certainly wouldn't
behave in that manner.

And it is NOT important what YOU think about the progression of the
audition, it is ONLY important, what the JURY thinks about YOUR playing &
YOUR musicality. What YOU think about it, does not interest nobody.

That is the  R.E.A.L.I.T.Y.>
I totally agree with you, Hans!  I have no idea what I wrote that would make
you think that I believe otherwise.  How a person plays an instrument has
nothing to do with being a man or a woman, being married or divorced, or
having children.  That's my entire point!!  Thanks for agreeing with me. ;-)

karen

Dr. Karen McGale Fiehler
Lecturer of Horn
Northern Arizona University