Chuck De Paolo wrote:

>I imagine in Europe and other places where a rolled "r" is part of the
>spoken language it's a no-brainer, but in the US, we don't use that
>technique for any speech.

I think that when speaking english you keep your tongue more backwards than
we do in Italian; in that position, it is impossible to pronounce our "R".

Here, people who can't pronounce R are extremely rare, and those cases are
obviously due to some cultural (not genetic) cause.
It is interesting to note that the French R has a relatively recent origin,
from a court fashion.

Daniel Canarutto
mathematical physicist & dedicated amateur hornist
http://www.dma.unifi.it/~canarutto/
http://www.corno.it