In a message dated 11/17/2002 8:45:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In any case, it is well to differentiate a) learning a second language
> from b) pronouncing new phonemes correctly, as a native speaker would.  As
> in learning horn technique, practice helps.  Millions of adults acquire
> passable knowledge of a second language, even if their pronounciation
> isn't on the mark.  How is learning a second language different from
> learning new words in one's native language?

I've read articles summarizing recent studies that show that the brain has
two distinct "explosive" developmental stages - just after birth (1-2 years),
and for a few years after the onset of puberty.  I also read that the
language acquisition part of the brain is different for primary language and
all secondary languages.  This is perfectly in keeping with my own
experience.  I learned French in high school and Czech as an adult in my
30's.  Unfortunately, I don't really maintain either language, so that when
I'm called on to speak either I will inadvertantly mix up the two, but my
brain will mainly reach for the French words, which I know better.  Never a
problem like this with English.

Now contrast that with playing musical instruments.  I can play (ha! some
would argue with that statement) many instruments, at least scales, and I've
learned them all throughout my life at various times.  I never ever have a
problem going from one to the other and playing each in its own key, with its
own fingering, etc.  Horn I can finger almost equally as well as tuba or
trumpet, even though changing hands.  I can put those down and immediately
pick up a flute or clarinet and play a scale or two without any thinking, and
then go to the key board.  Why is that?  Has anyone studied this aspect of
the brain?

Dave Weiner