In a message dated 28/11/2002 16:29:48 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> I wonder if the Brits still talk about "stones?"

yes - and pounds and ounces and feet and inches too  - (I am just over 12
stone in weight and a bit over 5 foot four in height) and, when we talk about
horses we measure them in hands.

Poles and perches have gone and you don't often come across furlongs
nowadays.

It's a much more interesting system than the boring metric system where
everything's the same so you can't tell what anyone is talking about.

All the best,

Lawrence