Ted Turner aside, there are real differences in pronunciation in this
country.  Sometimes only a few hundred miles can make a difference in the
sound of a given word.  Add to that the influence of schooling and how
someone in one of the sound media thinks a word should be pronounced, well,
... but I'm sure this happens in Germanic speaking countries as well ;)

A.