I have not used an 8D as a daily driver for 20+ years but I am certainly
familiar with them and still own my two 1938 originals.

The best 8Ds were the earliest (pre-letter) ones.  They were superbly made,
had a slightly larger bell throat and lots of metal in the bell.  By the
letter series, the horns had changed quite a bit.  The biggest mistake, I
think, was making the bells thinner and thinner.  Made the horn lighter but
gutted the sound.  Mechanically, a lot of the horns from the 60's were sloppy
as well.  Conn went downhill with the move to Abilene and now has come back a
bit.  The irony now is that the Abilene and UMI Conns have a much better bell
than the letter series and a generally good sound.  I don't like the valves
on either-Abilene were straight, now they are tapered but slow.  The change
valve linkage is a joke.

8D playing characteristics are different now as well.  The new ones are much
stuffier than the old.  People are amazed when they compare a new one to my
320000's.  And yes, both of mine have had Lawson valve jobs and are not
leaking.

I won't ever go back to a Conn for making a living, my Lawsons are superior
in all respects, but several served me well and "paid the rent" at one time
or another.   I would still recommend any Elkhart horn if you can find one in
good or restorable shape over a new or Abilene horn.  A new Eastlake bell
would be a good replacement for any old, shot Conn bell.  Lawson pipes help
intonation and response as well.   I don't know Patterson's equipment so I
can't comment there.

If you want more 8D info or discussion possibilities, join Dick Martz' list:
<A
HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pre_letter_series_elkhart_conn_8D/?yguid=60363918";>Yahoo!
 Groups : pre_letter_series_elkhart_conn_8D</A> .

Kendall Betts