Joseph Fuller asked about solos with band. This is actually my
doctoral project area, so I'll throw in a bit of information (nobody
steal my stuff, now!) Most of us are becoming familiar with
Thompson Editions, and it is often the first source of such
literature. But many works are out there which have been written or
arranged in the last 20 years or so, and can be hard to know about
unless told by someone. Here are some other pieces.

THE FOLLOWING WORKS ARE MODERATE DIFFICULTY:

Out of print is the Ralph Hermann Concerto for Horn and Band.
Many of us know it as the original, the standard, and so on. It is a
bit dated, but worth learning at some point. Not hard for band.
You'll need to find someone with a copy in order to play it. (In
Arkansas, Robin Dauer at AState and I both have copies.) Also
available with piano reduction.

Some more current works include:

Claude T. Smith: Three Contrasts for Solo Horn and Wind
Ensemble. published by Claude T. Smith Publications. Nice little
piece, not too hard for soloist or band. Anyone interested in playing
this should contact me for a more legible solo part - the provided
one is in terrible format. Also available with piano reduction.

Camille St.-Saens: Morceau de Concert, Op. 94. Arranged by
Douglas Nelson, published by Shawnee Press. The edition I have
found is listed and sold as a euphonium solo, but it's fine as is, still
in the same key.

John Zdechlik - Concerto for French Horn and Band. Published by
Neil A. Kjos Music Company. In my opinion, has its good and less
aesthetic moments. Grade 5, but not too hard. Does make the
hornist sweat just a bit.

THE FOLLOWING WORKS ARE QUITE DIFFICULT:

Randall Faust: Concerto for Horn and Wind Esnemble, published
by Faust Publications. Each movement utilizes different
instrumentation from the band, and each is also dedicated to a
different hornist.

Jan Van der Roost: Rhapsody for Horn, Winds and Percussion.
Published by DeHaske. Very dark, challenging piece for band.

Trygve Madsen: Invitation to a Voyage. I don't know much about
this one personally, but it was performed at the 1997 IHS
Symposium at Eastman, written for Froydis Ree Wekre.

Bruce Thompson: Venatic Chronicle, published by Thompson
Edition. Very interesting work, takes some time to learn the horn
part. Not for the faint-hearted, but all based on hunting themes.
Also available with piano reduction.

SHORT WORKS GOOD FOR ENCORES OR OTHER USES:

Marin Marais: Le Basque, trans. Dan Phillips, pub. Thompson
Edition. The perfect "chaser" after a serious piece. 2'

James Ployhar: Horns on the Run. published by Belwin/Warner
Brothers. This piece claims "Featuring the Horn Section", since
there is only one part labelled Horns. But it works well as an
encore if the section sits out, or the section can be invited to stand
up front with soloist and all play together. Fun. 3'
Alec Wilder: Air for Horn and Band. Officially out of print by
Margun. Very odd duck, but interesting too. Nice for a complete
change of pace. 3 minutes.

Jiri Pauer: Pastorale for French Horn and Woodwind Choir.
Arranged by Joel Blahnik, published by Alliance Publications Inc.
This is acutally a transcription of Pauer's Horn Concerto, second
movement, which itself is out of print. Very beautiful music. 6'

Camille Saint-Saens: Romance, Op. 36, for Horn and Clarinet
Choir. Arranged by Lucien Caillet, pub. by Southern Music Co. 3-4'

Of course, there's lots more out there. Just some ideas to spur you
all on to aesthetic bliss-

Brent

Brent A. Shires, Instructor of Horn
University of Central Arkansas:  Conway, AR  72035
Phone: 501-450-5768
Fax:   501-450-5773
Web: http://www.uca.edu/divisions/academic/arts/music/faculty/bshires.htm
3rd Horn Arkansas Symphony Orchestra;
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp Horn Instructor;
IHS Regional Workshop Coordinator & Arkansas Area Rep.;
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Province 4 Governor