Tuning is a matter of PLAYING IN TUNE, not one of getting all the slides
exactly so-so. It is a matter of listening and harmonizing and getting
intervals correct.  Orchestras, bands, and choirs perform more nearly in just
intonation than in equal-tempered intonation, except when pushed into
equal-temperament by a piano or organ or other fixed pitch instrument.  And,
as you know, a piano in perfect equal-temperament is equally out-of-tune all
over the instrument.  The laws of physics and the natural harmony of
overtones with the fundamental just do not cooperate with the art of musical
instrument playing.  A good player can play in tune in any standard type of
temperament.  You must LISTEN to what you play and relate it to what's going
on in the context of the piece.

[I feel I must inject a word or two in support of Randy Gardner's concept of
spending a lot of time with an electronic tuner.  The whole idea is one of
matching tones and of being able to bend pitches to specific tones.  Before
the day of mini electronic tuners I spent hours and hours with my foot on the
sostenuto pedal of a piano playing scales, apreggios, and single note attacks
to be accompanied with strong sympathetic support from those pitches on the
piano, and matching piano pitches.]

For most horns, such as the Geyer wraps, Schmidt wraps, and most Kruspe
wraps, it is better to tune the Bb side of the horn first.  This is because
your ONLY adjustment to the open Bb horn is the main tuning slide.  (You do
NOT have a Bb only tuning slide.) Then, tune the F side with the F only slide
(or slides in the case of all Conns and most other double horns) to match the
Bb-F open tones.  One of the best rationales I know for tuning a double horn
can be found in The HORN CALL, Vol. III, NO. 2, Spring, 1974, pages 35-39.
The article is "TUNING THE DOUBLE HORN, A Practical Approach" by Stephen L.
Seiffert.  It is a fine article, well thought out, and eminently practical;
it works!

Even so, or with any tuning system you develop, the horn will have out of tun
e notes that must be bent to pitch.  You must learn the tendency notes on
your horn and how to correct them, and the slide position is less important
than your ability to adjust pitches AS YOU PLAY THEM.  If you choose to play
a fingering that is innately sharp you must be able to get it down to the
place it belongs, and vice versa.  These notes can often be played with
alternate fingerings which reduce the degree of correction that is essential.
 In short, the standard double horn is a chromatic collection of open natural
horns from the key of low B natural up to Bb alto.  All of the idiosyncracies
of the flat third overtone, the ambivalent seventh overtone, and the oddities
of the upper partials are all there for you to learn about and learn to deal
with them.  If you don't sing, it may not be too late to begin for you.
That's why it so essential to learn to sing your horn!  Many horn teachers
expound on the "singing" nature of horn playing; and they are successful in
this approach.  For example, I mention the recent posthumous publication by
Marvin Howe, "The Advancing Hornist" subtitled as: "Volume I: The Singing
Hornist."  There is a definite vocal tint to all excellent horn playing.  It
should be obvious to all of us just from listening to fine horn players;
their instruments "Sing"!

CORdially,  Mansur's Answers