Klaus,

Now I AM confused.

In your previous message, you seemed to be mixing up Bob Watt of the LA
Philharmonic with Jerry Ashby of the NYPO. Watt has roots at NE
Conservatory in the 60s, Ashby went to Music & Art, then Juilliard her in
NYC in the 70s. Watt never, to my knowledge, had anything to do with the NY
scene. Now you bring up Ross Taylor, who died (by his own hand, a la Mark
Fischer, I gather) many years previous to the Beethoven performance that
you refer to. I knew his son Paul many years back and I can speak fairly
authoritatively that Ross had nothing to do with Jerry Ashby or the
Beethoven performance in question.

Since I have not seen the video in question, it is hard for me to comment,
but I doubt that Ashby would have been playing the solo from the fourth
chair (he is a "corno primo", not "secondo"). Where was the player seated
relative to the rest of the section?

I am sure that I am serving to preserve disorder by this posting. Maybe
someone else can clarify.

- Peter Hirsch

<from: Klaus Bjerre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<to: The Horn List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<subject: Re: [Hornlist] Who were the horns?
<
<Sorry for my cryptic posting. I am a multiallergic having very bad times
<through the winter. Often having symptoms close to aphasia. However I
<have a few, quite slow, techniques to circumvent the problems:
<
<The player of the 4th horn solo of the Bernstein performance of the B9 <on
one of the Christmas days (1st or 2nd) of 1989 was the player to be <seen
at the far right on the picture at the top of
<
<http://www.osmun.com/reference/Myers-Schmid/Meyers1.html
 <
<I read the page as if his name is Ross Taylor. He played the 4th part <all
the way. I do not remember the rest of the horn section. Only I am <fairly
sure, that it was German.