Dear Hornlisters,
Oh, how I wish our Principal and her assisstant would agree to switch parts, but they
guard them with such ferocity, the rest of us in the section fear for our fingers.  We
all get together on various occasions and switch around ensemble parts, but when we
are in a band rehearsal, forget it.  Madam Principal, not there by audition, but by
longevity, has gone so far as to refuse to share the folder even when she would not be
playing a concert.  All eight of us in the section have proven our ability to handle
the first parts, and the rest of us (2 to 4) switch very freely among ourselves.  None
of us have ever experienced any detrimental effect of playing 4th on one part and then
3rd or 1st on another.  In fact, the whole high-low switch seems to actually improve
flexibility, but we can't seem to get the two ladies at the top of the section to
agree.  Several years ago, someone asked our Principal Trumpet what it would take for
a newcomer to move up in the section, and he replied, "someone has to die".  Yeah...

Deborah Buchanan