Our band is preparing for a joint concert with the Virginia National Guard
Band.  Part of the preparation for me included a discussion about the nature
of the Ntl Guard band program.

My understanding is that the band meets once a month for rehearsals, then
pulls its yearly two week assignment touring the state presenting concerts
and, in our case, joint concerts with community bands.  Scholarship programs
are available and well worth consideration.

I have seen and heard many unit bands in the area (Tidewater, Virginia).  I
have observed that often the unit bands are one-to-a-part.  This presents
some significant challenges to the flute players!  He will almost certainly
play "The Stars and Stripes Forever" until he looses count of how many times
he has played it.  And more likely than not, he will play it all by himself.
Does he have a piccolo?  If not, get one immediately and start figuring out
where to breathe!

Do the math; three trumpets, four horns, three trombones, and one or maybe
two flutes.  No such good odds.  Of course, the brass players are excellent
and can play softly.  But still, the gig is a real challenge!

Guy Hayden, Music Director and Conductor
The Peninsula Concert Band
Newport News, VA  USA
http://members.cox.net/pcb2