Hi List,

Horn design is very simple, basically the better instruments are smoother through
everything.  Look at Engelbert Schmid Lawson Patterson And sometimes Atkinson, they
are such great playing horns because of the smoothness through the taper of the
instrument.  There are no inflictions with the vibration throughout the horn.  If
there are rough edges and solder inside, certain partials will come out stuffy and the
horn will not play with ease.  Some people like this some don't.  I have found that
even in Conn 8d's....usually the biggest problems are right around the first branch,
bell tail solders and leadpipe taper.  If conn would spend maybe two more hours on
each instrument they would all play ideal and UMI would have happier customers.  The
old Kruspe and Elkhart 8d's are also great instruments, Why?  It took more time to
make and machines didn't stretch the metal, actual humans put it together eliminating
excess solder and a smoother even taper throughout the horn.

I currently play on a Cleveland model Reynolds Contempora.  My first two years of
playing, I noticed 4 notes that just wouldn't be in tune,  d4 through f on top of the
stave.  I eventually ended up sending it to Atkinson brass, adding an appropriate
leadpipe and a different bell tail and heavier bell.  He evened out all of the taper
from the first branch out and the right length of leadpipe helped the horn
considerably.  With the original build quality of the horn which was superb and the
refinement of the mistake in manufacture, it plays as good or better than any elkhart
horn with no bad notes and great resonance.  It is more comparable to a Kruspe horn
with no bad notes and a larger dynamic range.

Go play a really middle of the road built Yamaha 667 or 668 and play the similar v
series.  You will be amazed as for 2000$ more you get something that is a little more
free blowing and something that slots a lot better.  The only difference in design is
a different valve section which really isn't that much more drastic, the rest is
simple build quality.

Oh hope this is food for thought for everyone on the list and I should add that I'm
only an amature and this is only my personal spoken opinion.  I find my ideals are
right you may think totally different,

my 2.22$,

Hoss