Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im
Auftrag von John Ericson
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. März 2003 20:26
An: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Betreff: [Hornlist] RE: Strauss - "Seaside Impressions" Op. 12

I recently worked quite hard on this work [German title--Empfindungen am
Meere] for a project on Franz Strauss and his music for horn and piano.

My base tempo for this work is just a bit slower, around 58 to the
dotted
quarter, but at the risoluto (bar 32) I move to a tempo around 66. In
this
section I also slow a bit around bar 42 where the horn line is
essentially a
duet with the piano left hand, but then pick it up again at the end of
the
section. The final large section (bar 57 on) is back to the base tempo,
but
like the opening section has room to push and pull a bit while
maintaining
the flow of the lines.

In the specific section you ask about (bars 73-77) I play very legato. I
would suggest delaying the crescendo to start it around the end of bar
74,
and I would also suggest that you ignore the staccato markings in 77 (I
am
looking at the edition published by Southern). The key thing is you want
make music, to sell the musical lines. This section does not peak at 77;
it
keeps going to bar 81, and needs to aim there musically.

Best wishes with the work,

John

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dr. John Ericson, Horn
Arizona State University School of Music
http://www.public.asu.edu/~jqerics/

> message: 12
> date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:47:06 -0600
> from: Carl Vidos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> to: Hornlist Memphis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> subject: [Hornlist] Strauss - "Seaside Impressions"  Op. 12
>
> Hello fellow hornists:
>
> I perform with a large community band (90+ members) as well
> as a local horn
> ensemble, but once in a great while I like to work on piece
> of music as if I
> were going to perform it as a soloist. Chances are that I
> never will, but
> friends and family make a great "test audience."
>
> Once such work that captured my interest recently is Strauss' "Seaside
> Impressions." The musical lines are somewhat similar to Strauss' horn
> concertos, with beautiful legatos and fluid phrases, but I
> would like to
> request input and performance tips from any of you who have
> played this work
> in the past.
>
> Hans Pizka advocates asking questions less related to horn
> "tricks" and more
> about beauty of tone and musicality, so I'll be the first to ask. I am
> particularly interested in phrasing, the use of the tongue in
> the slurred
> staccato runs, and dynamics. Measures 73-77 are particularly
> perplexing, and
> I am having some difficulty interpreting this small section
> musically. In
> short, I would like to make this rather simple piece sound beautiful.
>
> I am currently playing the music at aroun 64 beats per minute
> (in 3), and
> the difficulty level is not so high that I cannot manage it.
> I have been
> experimenting with this music for just over a week now, and
> coupled with a
> LOT of headphone listening to Strauss horn concertos,
>
> -Carl

set your options at
http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/hans.pizka%40t-online.de