Chad wrote:

>I think linking to one of the few articles in the
>media that try and justify the virtual orchestra and
>are likely in the back pockets of the producers(ny
>times) is not a great way for any art lover to
present
>the issue to the horn list.

Hi, Chad.  Perhaps we read different articles.

Tommasini was actually lamenting the
increasing/threatened use of virtual orchestras.  He
was pointing out, however, that Broadway producers and
directors have been, consciously or unconsciously,
preparing audiences for virtual orchestras for
decades.

The preparation began with the first introduction of
amplification, over forty years ago.  As it stands,
live music sounds awfully artificial.  A wall of
sound--very loud, very brassy, spatially
undifferentiated, unrelenting--seems to be what the
producers and directors of the last several B-way
shows that I've seen were after.  Vocal, musical, and
dramatic nuance were not on the agenda.  I'm willing
to accept Tommasini's argument that things have been
this way for a long time and won't change, except for
boutique productions, because directors and audiences
actually like things this way.

My fear is that this aesthetic, if I can call it that,

will infiltrate opera houses and concert halls.  Many
opera companies are already using amplification, as
you know.  Acoustical engineers are "improving"
concert halls with what they claim is the selective
and
undetectable placement of speakers.  I shudder to
think where this is taking us, especially since most
of the music that most people listen to most of the
time is, by design, is amplified and synthesized to
one degree or another, usually a high degree.

You also seem uncomfortable with the assertion that
the Broadway strike was about saving jobs.  I'm ready
to believe that the union and the striking musicians,
in part, wanted to preserve live music.  But they also
wanted to save jobs.  They have nothing to apologize
for.  That's what unions are supposed to do.
Management's job is to screw the workers (except in
the case of Tyson, Adelphia, Enron, Worldcomm, etc.,
where management's job is to screw everyone).  The
union's job is to protect jobs and fight for better
wages and conditions.

--John

=====
J. Mason, Charlottesville, Virginia
New!  Friday Evenings at Eastside Raceway, Photos:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/cgi-bin/gallery-x/index.html