Hello Graham,

Yes it is quite normal for the horn in an orchestra or pit situation to
have the mic directly in the bell.  If you look on the stage at Chicago
or NY or probably anywhere that has solo mic's you will see the same
thing.  Depending on the mic this is fine as one will get the best
quality of recording from this position.  Remember that the solo mic is
not the only source of sound and is only used to highlight and make more
ambient the instrument in question.  In a studio situation it is not
unusual to see a mic in the bell of every horn (indeed every musician).
An ideal recording - if such a concensus could be found - would use a
single mic from behind the conductor or equivalent spot.  The accoustic
variables of the room and the particular ensemble and the recording
equipment are immense however and it can be easier to mic at two main
points and many auxiliary points as reinforcement.

This subject was alluded to recently with regards to how we conceive of
the sound up close as opposed to in the hall.  A studio player is far
more concerned with making a beautiful sound at the bell than the
average orchestral player because of the recording point.  This isn't to
say that orchestral players don't strive for a good and characteristic
tone, just that the audience (read mic) is in a different location and
so a different approach is required in order to project that good sound
to the aural destination (the ear).  I could go on but shouldn't....

The Jack Attack!