Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im
Auftrag von Scott Pappal
Gesendet: Montag, 17. März 2003 03:06
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: [Hornlist] tone color/color instrument

Dear listers:

There has been some discussion on the list lately
concerning "cutting through," "projection," and "tone
color." While it is interesting to note how conception
of tone quality varies from player to player and
school to school, the following is always true: It is
exciting to listen to the sound quality of the best
players. A dull, colorless, lifeless sound serves no
purpose and contributes nothing to any ensemble or any
listener.
Due to the wonderful weather here, my wife and I did
some traveling yesterday, enjoying the drive, the sun,
the new "green" smell in the air, and the 70 degree
(F) temperatures. While driving, I had some different
horn soloists playing - Phil Myers recital disk, Hans
Pizka's "Dream Music," Greg Hustis' recital disk, and
Lowell Greer's Mozarts on natural horn. All four
hornists produced very different sounds, but all four
were full of color and variety. The sounds of these
players had individuality and personallity.

The problem with many band directors is that they view
horn as a "background brass" or "color instrument" and
then interpret this as meaning: devoid of any
interesting tone quality and focus. A large amount of
my time and energy is devoted to horn studio teaching,
a job I love to do and am proud to do. (In fact, if a
few more of us taught horn instead of how to shoot a
tank, we'd be in much better shape, but that's another
matter...) Without exception, all the players who've
come to me from public school band music programs have
had a sound which is too dark, dull, unfocused, and
blends too well. In short, their sound has no quality
of its own because all they do is provide harmonic
support and background for others!

IMHO, this is one of the large drawbacks of (uhh) band
playing: horns are used merely as "range fillers" to
round out the alto/tenor voices. Orchestral playing is
much more challenging, and encourages growth of
musicianship. For instance:

1.) Most band pieces are only several minutes long. A
30 minute piece for band is considered a massive work.
A piece of the same length for orchestra is certainly
one of the shorter works in the genre. Why? Because
audiences (especially American audiences) can't pay
attention for more than five minutes, and can't
appreciate large sonata forms. Also, because many band
composers are sadly inferior to orchestral composers.
Name the top five band composers - now name the top
five orchestra composers. Compare the two lists - I
rest my case.

2.)  Most public school band directors know nothing
about horn. They characterize horn sound as "dark,"
"blending," or "smooth." If they want dark and
non-focused, why don't they do get more euphonium
players? Newsflash: Interesting horn sound is not dark
and rich!! It has sparkle, is shiny, and has a velvet
"zzch" to it, even in ppp it is interesting and
distinct. Want proof? Listen to some of the principal
horns on this list, such as Bob Ward, Kendall Betts,
or Professor Pizka.

3.) Players playing too loud and with a pinched sound?
Duh: Marching Band, marching band, marching band!!!
When are Americans going to realize that Marching Band
is not a musical activity? Listening to a Beethoven
symphony with the score open in one's lap, this is a
musical activity. Rehearsing the Mozart Horn Quintet
for the first time with the strings, this is a musical
activity. As a young teenager, I remember writing out
the string parts to the quintet by hand from the
score, because I lived in a remote area and couldn't
get parts! This is musical learning, not playing in a
marching band, blasting away at ffff at a football
game halftime show. As Americans, we play too loud
because we were brought up on band instead of
orchestra. Look at the average number of winds in a
large orchestral piece: perhaps 12 woodwinds and 12
brass for a total of 24 players; the rest are strings.
Too many young people are brought up trying to blast
over a 75 - 100 piece (yuk) band, instead of blending
and contributing thier special, complex sound with the
orchestra.

Off Soapbox, Scott