From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 6:50 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] Horn Club

Hi,

This is also in response to Russ Smiley's questions on Horn Clubs. Visit our
Club website. <A
HREF="http://80skids.net/hornclub";>http://80skids.net/hornclub</A>
Are there recommended venues for periodic assembly (e.g. vacant church hall,
community center, local school or college, etc.)?

We were meeting in a local high school band room in the evening. Now we have
a room in a community college music room.

Do you recommend affiliations (e.g. XYZ Conservatory's Horn Club)? Not
necessary.

How do you handle leadership? Not a problem. I am the founder, and so I have
taken on a small leadership role.

How do you handle membership? (It's easy with a quintet: you know exactly
how many parts there are and how many musicians you need.)
Not a problem. We have trios, quartets, quintets, sextets, septets, and
octets in our library.
Have you recommendations about the ownership of repertoire? The Club owns
the
music. We use money from gigs to pay for new music and others have donated
music and we have access to a University Library of music.

What about the library's storage? We store music in a suitcase with wheels.
wheel the music to the rehearsal from my vehicle.

Is there situation where a regular 'conductor' becomes necessary? And who
cares to do that job (paid or otherwise)? We will sometimes play a quartet
while a fifth member directs. It works well. It is enjoyable to direct a
horn
ensemble.

How do you handle differing abilities and aspirations? We make each
rehearsal
a learning session. The more advanced players help and often play the solo
parts or bass clef parts.

What forums for public performance have proven successful? Which were
failures? No failures. Musicale groups, graduation parties, church
services.There are other venues too. We are getting ready to play a wedding.

Finances can always be problematic. Are dues recommended or to be avoided.
If the club is paid for public performances, how is disbursement best
handled.
No dues -- don't want to discourage membership. Money kept for music and
some
handed out for gas (transportation to the gig). Our gigs have been
non-paying
thus far, but that is our plan for future paying gigs.

Peace,
Bill
set your options at
http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/rsmiley%40cttel.net