One topic of conversation that came up several
times among people at the recent Southeastern Horn
Workshop, was the fact that the IU workshop seems
to be trying to rip people off, financially.

$50 a night for a shared dorm room???!!!!  No meal
ticket plan at one of the school cafeterias??!!
Not exactly something that will encourage middle
class players or college students faced with
constantly rising tuitions to attend.  The dorm
rate for married couples is $44 per person, per
night.  No bargin there, either.

I got a single room at a Howard Johnson Express in
Columbus GA for the Southeastern Workshop, and it
only cost me $35 a night.  Had a fridge, microwave,
cable TV, was clean, and I got a free "Continental"
breakfast, too.  Just an easy five minute drive
from the workshop site.  Worked for me.

Noticed that IU's Natural Horn Workshop and their
"Prepare for a College Audition" workshop also seem
to have very high fees, at least high to me.  I
would doubt that the music school has any control
on this, (It's probably being run by "Continuing
Education") but high costs are not the way to draw
in large masses of participants.

I'm still planning to go, since I've been saving
for it, but I'm not a happy camper about the
expense.  The Workshop fee, itself, seems fair,
given that the cost of everything has risen.
However, no provision has been made for a reduced
fee for spouses, something that may keep my wife
Marilyn (the 8D player) from chosing to attend.  As
I recall, reduced fees for spouses have been, more
or less, traditional.

BTW, I tried downloading the IU workshop schedule
on both a Mac and a PC.  It's in PDF format, and
all I get is a bunch of gray lines.  Anyone got a
copy of the schedule they could send me?

Thanks.

Wilbert