Dear Listers,
I offer my own experience and opinions for what it's worth. First of all, I played on a Holton 179 for almost 30 years before purchasing a Conn 8D about four years ago. I had many, many problems with the valve action, which got worse as the horn got older. Fortunately, I found a repair-person who was willing to tackle the beast. I found having the horn cleaned every six months by someone familiar with the instrument helped immensely. A high school student is now playing on the horn, so it is still functioning, and still being cleaned and repaired by the same person. For any hornists in the Boise area, this is Chris at Blue Rider Music in Meridian. I cannot say enough good things about her horn-maintenance and repair skills. I bought my 8D from Blue Rider also, and they treated me well in that regard. While the valve-action was a continual headache, and the written C in the middle of the staff and/or the D above that seem to be rather unstable notes on that particular model (at least all the ones I have played on, which is maybe a half-dozen), there were many things I liked about the instrument. First of all, the tone color. Very velvety and rich. Second, I have short fingers. The keys are harder to reach on the Conn. It was almost impossible to snag that third key on the older models, but the newer ones have longer keys. I almost always play standing, so the Holton just fit my hand better. I also liked the water key, even though it was not really in an ideal location. I still used it frequently. The Holton, however, does not have the ease of blowing in the low range that the Conn does, and that's why I eventually bought the Conn. My low range is not my strong suit, so I need all the help I can get from the instrument. I don't regret buying or mind playing on either instrument.
About the Gliere performance...I heartily concur with the posted comment that music is supposed to be fun. When I quit doing things I thought I was "supposed" to be doing, and started working with people I enjoyed working with, playing music I enjoyed playing, studying with teachers I enjoyed learning from, and letting myself enjoy the horn-playing experience, not only did my playing improve, my musicality, technique, and attitude did as well. While we can all learn from others, there are so many performance variables, many out of our control, that this is one of those experiences to chalk up to perhaps a lesson in humility, and move on.
I welcome any responses,on the list or privately.
---Jennie