Very interesting, Hans. I'm finding as I get older in my practicing (I just
turned 22) I find that the number of mistakes and clams I make are definately
going down in number. I mean just one year ago I probably couldn't make it
through a page of Mozart without a clam and now I find the clams I am making now
are getting much less in number. Hopefully soon, the more I practice it will go
to none at all, and in fact in some etudes and pieces I practice there are
beggining to appear no clams at all, and I feel that I am to a stage where I
concentrate more on style, and clarity of tone and melody than technical aspects,
because technique after all is just woodshedding with a metronome, just about
anyone can do it.

I think what is missing from most players is (a) the ability to be fluid
enough with your ability that you can be able to sightread anything and (b) the
ability to take a chance and stop whenever you make a clam, to figure out why
you did it, and to rehash it. For instance, whenever I make an unsmooth slur, I
have to always go back and play it about ten times before I move on, I must
practice things that I do not do well enough... and perhaps some do not know
what they do not do well enough to know what to practice. I've heard so many
players in practice rooms that do not know how to fluidly practice. They just "run
through" and don't stop to fix things or tune things or figure out what the
melodic line should be.

Oh well, these are my own musings... feel free to poke around through them :P

-William