I have found that a morning after pill is sometimes required when trying out
horns. As in, after an afternoon of trying them out once at a workshop I
thought some were so wonderful that I even considered swapping my horn for one or
buying it straight away. However after sleeping on it, and practicing a few
more hours in between on my own horn I went back to play on a few specimens that
I played on earlier to find that it just was not the same anymore. I noticed
more and more faults with each instrument that I didn't notice the day before
and as a result decided to stick with my own horn and not change anything.

Although I'm still shopping for a descant perhaps down the line (maybe even a
Bb/high Bb) the more I try different horns, strangely enough, the more I
refuse to sell my own horn and swap it out. Nothing matches me as well, and as a
Horn should be its individual to me and my tastes exactly where I want them to
be.

The funny thing was I played on a Holton 280 for 7 years as a student in High
school and college and the change to a E. Schmid was drastic, but I noticed
when I did change a lot of bad habits hidden on the Holton sang out on the
Schmid requiring more but neccessary practice.

I'm happy with the results. Try as hard as I could, there are certain
plateaus on student model Horns to me that you cannot really work around because they
aren't noticable until you get a more finely crafted instrument. Holton makes
fine instruments and I was sad to have sold it, that's true, but it doesn't
have the finesse of my '91 hotrod DOHC 4-valve Schmid.

-William