Clayton Whetmore, here:
J Burch wrote:

Your mileage may vary. Every airport is different from every other. And every airline is different from every other within the same airport. And every airport is different from one hour to the next at the same checkpoint. All this despite TSA "standardization" of security procedures. (I run security computer systems at O'Hare, so I know whereof I speak.)

You can minimize your chances of having everything searched, including your horn and case, by purchasing your tickets as far in advance as possible. That lowers your risk factors in the security profile. In other words, tickets purchased at the last minute will cause you to be searched, your luggage to be opened and everything touched, your person to be wanded, and the rest of your carry on items to be taken apart and examined, and anything else the security person deems necessary to assure that you pose no risk. Consider wearing tennis shoes, avoiding the steel shank that is in the sole of many boots and dress shoes. Avoid wearing a large belt buckle. Any large metal object passing through the initial screening gateway will automatically shuttle you out of line, for individualized attention. While nail clippers are allowed, don't even consider carrying a pocket knife. Leave it in your luggage.

Have a good flight!