O.K., Steve, yes, the professionals have more skill, but more time to
adapt to a new instrument ?? I doubt that very much. Most of us just
pick the horn or grab the horn which is available, explore it with two
scales up & down, adjust the slides
(a common source of bad speaking notes, as long as the valves are
activated - I do not say "depressed" so not to give Cabbage a chance to
make a fool out of myself - example: "a" above space - if the slides are
not pulled the right length, the "a" will remain bad off course)

and PLAY, just PLAY THAT HORN. Thatīs it.

And the main problem of the amateur is the following:

They think they can do things equally or even better than the
professionals (admitted: might happen in very rare cases, but never in
leading horn position), and THEY DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT PROFESSIONALS
PREACH !!!!! They know everything much better from their scientific
approach, but it does not work.

Should I call them pharisaic horn players ????

Sorry, there is no help for many of those players. Some of them played
for me in many lessons, but had big mouth before about what they had
played with their community orchestra or pick-up orchestra or just
"READING ORCHESTRA" (Mahler 5, Beethoven 9, Beethoven 3, Heldenleben,
Till, Brahms, Mahler 1, etc.). But, my goodness, all phantasy, if they
played for me, three out of two notes were mistakes, not only clams, but
out of tune, clumsy pronounced, broken legatos, etc.

I call you amateurs, players as conductors (professional, semi
professionals & amateurs), back to order: play less demanding pieces,
but BETTER.

Hans Pizka, 45 years on first chair in top orchestras (just three orch.
But played with many, many orchestras called to replace the first horn
because of ill leave), honorary member of the HIS, etc.etc.