In a message dated 7/30/2003 4:05:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Crespo is correct, or was it Croossbay or Crosby ?

Aw, Hans is having a bit of fun with us.  As he pointed out a few months ago,
Kruspe is pronounced "crews-pe", with the "pe" part as in the first syllable
of the word "pedal".

Also, Finke is not "Finky" or "Fink", but "Fin-ke", with the "ke" part as as
in the first syllable of the word "kettle".

We Anglicize so many non-English words in strange ways.  My own surname, for
example, is pronounced by the family as "wine-er", changing the sound of the
first letter from its correct "v" sound.  But even more strange to me is that
here in the eastern part of the US (as opposed to the Midwest where I grew up),
many people with the same surname pronouce it "ween-er", changing its meaning
completely.  I even seen packages of hot dogs described as "weiners", making
me wonder if they are actually fermented or something.

Dave Weiner