At 11:22 PM 9/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
Some of us practice about an hour per day. (Playing
for fun.) Is a single daily practice session as
productive as putting in two or three shorter sessions
spread throughout the day?  I prefer playing a single
daily session.  One possible benefit of a single
session is the building of endurance for those 2-hour
once-a-week group rehearsals.  But, do other aspects
of playing, such as high range, tone, accuracy, etc.,
develop better with shorter, multiple daily practice
sessions?

I'm like you -- an hour to 1.5 hours a day, all in one session -- which for me works better into my schedule. However, I vary what I work on each day to give more time to various aspects of my playing. I find 5 minutes daily doesn't do it as well as 35 - 45 minutes twice a week. Plus with several small sessions I always find myself having to warm up again for 5 - 10 minutes.

Here's my usual routine: I start with my warm-up, which
usually takes about 25 minutes.  I established this a long
time ago and found that if I run into a couple of days when
all I have is 30 minutes this will keep me going.  It covers
a lot of ground -- long tones, then Farkas, then 2 and 3 octave
scales in various tonguing patterns. After this I work on something
different each day.  Yesterday was my music for our approaching
orchestra season.  Today will be selections from Maxime-Alphone
books 3 and 4.  Tomorrow will be Kopprasch in various transpositions
and even down an octave.  I also work in Mueller etudes, low
horn books, and concertos.  In here somewhere I also toss in
specific things I need to work on to help me get through the
next concert, like trills (we have Dvorak 8 coming up), extra hefty
long tones for the opening movement of Scheherezade, or the
like.

I think you have to find what works best for you, but I personally
think longer sessions a couple of times a week may work better
for developing (or maintaining) various aspects of your playing than
5 minutes daily.

Margaret

Margaret Dikel JCCSO Librarian / Horn 11218 Ashley Drive, Rockville MD 20852 301-881-0122 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________ post: [EMAIL PROTECTED] set your options at http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/archive%40jab.org