Hi all

Our orchestra is to play Mahler 5 in March 2004.

Is it usual for the first and bumper to cover the obligato part, with one
playing the obligato part and the other the first part for that movement, and
both sharing the other movements;

or should we import a player just for the obligato movement? (Would he be
needed to maybe help 3rd in the last movt?)

How many parts are there in total?

Any tips to prepare my lip for the endurance, or points to especially bring
out in the piece would be gratefully received.

(I have the Thompson auditions repertoire)

Thanks

Terry Garnham - Amateur
Principal Guernsey Symphony Orchestra
Principal Guernsey Camerata Orchestra
Principal Guernsey Choral & Orchestral Society Orchestra