With the changes brought on by having a horn cryogenically frozen being so subtle, I suspect you have to be a much better horn player than I am in order to notice any difference.

Suppose I spring to have the old Yamaha YHR-668N (or Lawson 804 or Alexander 103, or Pattersonized Conn 8D, or Selmer Bundy, or whatever) dunked in liquid nitrogen for however long it takes. Then after the horn defrosts & reaches room temperature once again & I pucker up & blow, how am I going to know whether anything has changed (much less changed for the better)?

Also, am I supposed to get my mouthpiece(s) frozen, too, or just the horn? What about the case?

Plus, what if I do notice a difference after cryogenic treatment of the horn, & the difference is that the horn plays worse instead of better? Is there another process available to reverse the effects of unsatisfactory cryogenics? Say, X-ray treatment? Radionuclide exposure? If I get those done, do I have to wear a tinfoil hat any time I play the horn?

If I'm going to pop for anything that tricky on my horn, won't I be better off investing in something less subtle? Say, screwbell conversion? Silver dimes or gold florins on the 1-2-3 valve levers? Platinum plating? Diamond-studded, depleted-uranium valve caps? Corinthian leather horn case with high-tech America's Cup sailcloth Velcro-closure case cover?

-- Alan Cole, rank amateur
McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.
I even found a site that does cryogenics on softball bats - and it claims you can hit the ball farther!