Really ???? You apprecciate working on it, right. The task is it, to
play it right, but is it enjoying, really ?
==================================

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 7:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] something to think HR

Very interesting, Hans. Schoenberg is one of those composers where you
really
appreciate his music once you start working on it. Most audience members

never have the perspective of growing with the music, either, which is
something I
really cherish :)

It's quite different to view the music from the inside, as it were,
rather
than as a bystander.

-William

In a message dated 10/18/2003 11:00:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Subj: RE: [Hornlist] something to think HR
>  Date: 10/18/2003 11:00:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>  From: <A
HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>
>  To: <A
HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> Bob, one should distinguish between art &artistic. Does the audience
> really like the Schoenberg Woodwind Quintet ? I doubt. They accept it
as
> a difficult piece of the 20th century, nothing else. But enjoy
listening
> ? His music has been swept up after it was (unfairly) discriminated &
> forbidden in his home country. BTW, I owned several handwritten
> autograph letters about the woodwind quintet by Schoenberg himself.
They
> are in the Schoenberg archive now. Did you know, that his son studied
> horn with Karl Stiegler ?

Behalf
> Of Robert Osmun
> Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 5:38 PM
> To: 'The Horn List'
> Subject: RE: [Hornlist] something to think HR
>
> Schönberg was once asked by a critic why he wrote "ugly" music. His
> reply:
> "I don't write ugly music, I get ugly performances."  In the early
> 1950's,
> Schonberg's woodwind quintet was considered unplayable, until the
> Gunther
> Schuller recording. It was a triumph, though rough and full of
mistakes;
> now
> the quintet is standard repertoire.
>
> Approach everything as if it were great music. Someday you might get
> surprised.
>
> Bob Osmun
> www.osmun.com
>
> PS to Hans-Hans, I figured out how to get Outlook to produce an umlaut
> just
> for you! All the best, Bob

Behalf