I was curious to why high Bb descant horns were invented and what they are of
use for. High F descant horns put everything an octave above the low F side
and it shifts the partials enough to make a high C the 8th harmonic instead of
the 16th harmonic on the standard F side and the 12th on the standard Bb side.

Wouldn't a high Bb horn switch the high C and those below it to the sixth
partial and below? Then the fundamental would be the F below middle C, and
anything above the 8th partial would be just rediculously high and probably
impossible to cleanly play on a standard mouthpiece. Of course, I've heard trumpet
players with corni da caccia (note the plural form) playing in the high F range
and even a recording of the Naruda Concerto up an octave on I think either a
"da caccia" or high Bb horn, but those were trumpet players used to that.

So what is the basic premise for these instruments? Is it for the really
REALLY high stuff? Is it to make high horn playing sound better somehow since the
partials are shifted up and the resistance is much less? Does anyone even
think about going higher than 8th partial on them, and if so wouldn't they need a
mouthpiece much more similar to a piccolo trumpet's?

I've never really asked, and my assumptions may be wrong, so any information
on them would be helpful.

Thanks! Also, for those on the list that have never seen/heard of them you
can see one for sale at osmun at http://store.osmun.com/browse.cfm/4,1310.html

-William