Ralph (and anyone else who is curious),

Take a look at http://www.unicode.org/charts/  - or -
http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/latin1.html#latin1 - or -
http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/isolat2.html

for all sorts of information on virtually any character, diacritic or
symbol (literally) in the world. Unicode is primarily intended to create
and facilitate the exchange documents over the Internet and is not
necessarily going to enable you to create Word documents or e-mail using
extended ascii characters. For that, you can go to
http://www.asciitable.com/  - or -
http://www.bignosebird.com/ascii.shtml

or just do a google search on "extended ascii character chart" and you will
find many to choose from. None of them seem too strong on actually giving
names to the characters and marks but at least you can see the codes and
you can find names for them at most of the unicode sites I listed at the
top.

Hope my cut and paste below is of some help, though I realize most of them
give a description rather than a name.

Peter Hirsch

<message: 5
<date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:30:58 -0400
<from: "Ralph Mazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<subject: [Hornlist] Umlauts etc on MS Word packages
<
<Thanks, Brian Baker, for the tips on making  international characters and
<diacriticals in WORD from the keyboard, from which I made a handy chart
for
<myself.  To round it out, can anyone tell me the names of :
<- the double-s character [ß] produced by CTRL + SHIFT + &, then s;

00DF ß LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S = Eszett
 German
 uppercase is "SS"
 in origin a ligature of 017F . and 0073 s
. 03B2 ß greek small letter beta

<- the little circle [å] produced by CTRL + SHIFT + @, then the letter;

00E5 å LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE
? Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Walloon

<- the slash or symbol [Ø] produced by CTRL+ /, then O?

00D8 Ø LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH STROKE = LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O SLASH

<Also, is there a way to make a makron (dash over a vowel as in [a]), or a
<breve (ends-up crescent over a vowel as in [e]), using the keyboard, i.e.,
<not from INSERT/SYMBOL?