Working for The New York Public Library, one of the foremost research
institutions in the world (and not just IMHO), I come across some pretty
interesting stuff, sometimes by design, sometimes by accident. Today I was
far from my usual turf, attending a presentation of music-related materials
at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture (a branch of NYPL's
research division). One of the items presented was a large photograph of
the "Victorian Concert Orchestra; Boston, Mass.; conducted by Clarence
Cameron White, 1912-1918". The personnel are entirely African American and
constitute what appears to be a fully complete orchestra of chamber size,
but including at least one of each wind and brass instrument, including
(here is where it gets HR) a horn. I have absolutely no further information
on this ensemble. There is plenty to be found in libraries, archives and on
the Internet on Clarence Cameron White as a composer, violinist and
teacher, but none of the material I've seen so far mentions this ensemble.
I could spend a lot of time perusing the collected papers of White that are
available to researchers, but I thought that someone more knowledgeable on
the Boston musical scene c. 1912 or who has looked into African American
musicians or horn players (John Mason, are you still on this list?) could
help me cut to the chase. I'd particularly like to find information about
the orchestra (professional, educational, other?) and the identity of the
horn player.

Anyone?

Just call me curious, but lazy.

Peter Hirsch