From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Jaakko Vdlimdki
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 12:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Hornlist] RE: F horn/Bb horn

I would like to ask some questions:

1. Is it easier for the young player to start with Bb-horn, or is it
just easier for the teacher´s ears? There are so many "good" teachers
who like to talk about music and they don´t listen scales and
transpositions because it get´s quite boring. The young student, of
course,  is only happy that he doesn´t have to work on these seemingly
boring matters. Then the student is in a deep trouble if he/she want´s
to be a professional hornplayer some day, and only because this "good"
teacher doesn´t want to listen all these boring scales and etydes.

2. Is it easier when your student starts on Bb-horn, because you as a
teacher can´t help the student to play well on F-horn?

3. Professor Pizka´s advice is to use the more F-horn in the orchestra.
It is a good advice, the problem is that so many players have neglected
the F-side so that the sound on the F-horn (especially in the high
register) is much worse than the sound on B-horn. It should quite the
opposite.

The F-horn should be used in the orchestra when it helps you to sound
better, not worse. The poor F-horn sound in the high register has
nothing to do with real F-horn. When properly studied, F-horn will
always sound better than B-horn no matter what register we are playing.
The B-horn is used for security but the real Horn Sound is the F-horn
sound.  Too bad one doesn´t get to hear good F-horn playing often,
perhaps due to "good" teachers.

So the question would be, Is it common that students practise the F-horn
in the high register really thinking how to get the real beatiful sound
out of the horn instead of the bad sound so many have in the F-horn
upper register? Do teachers demand that?

If the F-horn sound in the middle and higher register is free and round,
then the player must have a wonderful embouchure.

5. I am happy to work with a teacher who listens to the scales every
week. The idea is to play a scale first on F-horn with legato and with
tongue to get the right sound ideal. Then the scale is played with
F/Bb-horn combination fingerings with legato and with tongue. it is
played on the Bb-horn with double tongue and triplet tongue. And always
playing as if the scale is the most wonderful piece of music.

The system works very well. When I´m supposed to play scales and
transpositions every week I well practise, because it is really
embaressing to play something when it is obvious that I haven´t
practised. Works really well, the teacher doesn´t have to say anything
because I know that next week it will be the same situation. And the
next week, and the next. He listens because that is part of his job,
even he has heard the same etydes a thousand times, and the same
excuses. It isn´t always the nicest job but that is one of the things he
is getting paid.

Is it up to the student to control all the basic exercises, when every
bad manner he learns by playing the scales or flexibility exercises
badly will naturally transform into the "real" music?

I´m very interested to hear your comments, on or off the list!

Jaakko Välimäki
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sibelius-Academy student
Finland

BTW. I started playing with the "normal" mixed fingerings, using both
F-horn and B-horn. It would have been better if I would have started on
the F-horn I think. I´m only happy that my first teacher had a marvelous
sound, a real Horn Sound so at least my sound ideal was the best
possible from the very beginning.