Alan writes, cavalierly:

>Well, if the Honor System is still in effect, & still

>followed, at least we know the thief is not a student
>at UVA.

The Honor System is alive and reasonably well, Alan.
I can say for sure that my students are more honorable
than your average mutual fund manager.  A lot more.

The thieves were almost surely professionals.  They
were after computer equipment, taking the newest and
leaving the rest behind.  The horn was, sadly, just
gravy.

Best, John

PS  In case anyone missed the original post:

Dwight Purvis, horn instructor and director of bands
at the University of Virginia, has asked me to post
this notice:

Please be on the lookout for a Conn 8D, sn M56642,
that was stolen in Charlottesville, Virginia, on the
weekend of 1-2 November, 2003.

The horn is in very good condition, with few dings and
dents and with 90% of its lacquer remaining.  The bell
is fixed, and the horn was taken without its case.

Because Charlottesville is a small town, the thieves
might try to sell the instrument in Richmond,
Virginia, or Washington, DC.

If you have any information about the horn, please
contact Mr. Purvis directly.

email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
office phone:  (434) 924-6881/924-3052

=====