In a message dated 11/05/2003 3:48:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> I was given a worn-out copy of the Brain/Karajan Mozart LP by my
> good-hearted private teacher in the tenth grade. Why? Because I told
> him I did not own any solo horn recordings. I learned volumes about
> the sound of the horn and general musicality listening to that album.
> My very talented, all-state band/orchestra classmate played a Conn 8D
> and I envied, enjoyed, and emulated his sound to, but I never thought
> for one minute that Mr. Brain's tone was any less beautiful or
> horn-like.
>
> What is an 8D sound anyway?

       The Brain sound is an acquired taste because he used the world's worst
horn ever made.  I could never get a tone 1/100 that nice on that horn.  I
try to emulate his style more than his sound, as I think most people do.  I
remember seeing that the recording wouldn't be much help because one can't hear
the horn unless you know its sound.  Well, this may be exactly what you need!
Ask him if he hears the horn in the tutti sections.  Even if he says yes, he'll
have to strain to hear it.  Tell him that's what he wants to emulate.
Balance, in spite of the dynamic markings.  As is often made clear on this e-mail
list (I made my epiphany on this same type of subject, only about myself, not
another):  Horn is a supporting instrument!  It almost never is supposed to be
the main voice (this is less true in band, but it still applies.)  I still
struggle with this occasionally, but knowing this helps a lot.

That's my two cents.
Michael Scheimer,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2003 Interlochen Arts Camp Concert Band,
2002, 2003 PMEA Honors Band and 2003 District Orchestra
Founding co-member of Fünf Brass Quintet

P.S.  The Conn 8D sound is a mixture of darkness, and a player trying to make
it to the next level, but can't because of an overrated horn.