It seems to me that all this discussion of horn tone misses the mark.
The reason I am drawn to the playing of Brain, Damm, Baumann, the
Czechs, Tuckwell, and other greats is not because of "horn tone".  In
fact, each of these players has a distinctly different concept of "horn
tone", so much so that it's hard to believe they play the same
instrument. (You know what I mean, Cabbage!)  What draws me to them is
their music making.  What they "say" when they play.  So let's stop
quibbling over tone and begin quibbling over music.