Well it only stands to reason also. If you're lipping up (or even lipping
down) for a slight millisecond I can understand it a little bit but if you have
to adjust - as was in this case - for an extended period of time what is going
to happen if you rely on your lips alone? You'll get tired and the more and
more you play the harder it will be to bring the pitch to where it needs to be.

D is always going to be very sharp and rightly so. It is the eigth partial on
the Bb horn, but it is a combination fingering. Valve one or valve two alone
are always going to be in tune (on the partials that are in tune) and
depending on the way you tune your horn Valve three alone is generally close if not a
little high. Why is valve three like this? Well the way I tune is that I never
tune valve three alone. Valves one and two are great to tune alone since you
will have a lot of fingerings that utilize just one or two alone. Secondarily
you will also have a lot of 1,2 fingerings but these are always going to be
sharp on when you need them unless you're on a flat harmonic (5,10) and it might
cancel out. I tune 2,3 together because one rarely uses three alone except as
an alternate fingering and 2,3 are very common. Plus since you're dealing
with a much longer slide on 3 it is better to get it to adjust to the 2nd slide
simultaneously than doing it alone. Tuning 3 alone can lead to 2,3 being
slightly sharp as well. 1,3 are even sharper because the total length increases, and
1,2,3 are the nastiest fingerings you can have intonation wise - and in fact
we only use that typically for the pedal F# which is a note one can always lip
anywhere without any degree of difficulty.

It is very interesting how the fingerings work out and how tradition has
taken over convenience and ease of fingering.

Thank the gods we don't have to do a lot of transition from 1,3 to 2 (try
that sometime) or even worse 2 on a treble clef F# above the middle C to thumb
and 1 and then to thumb and 23 and back down the arpeggio. That's funky :P

-William