On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Why does a cold horn take so long to warm up? Simple. The air at the end
> of it by the time it gets there matches the temperature of the Horn
> itself.

The air that emanates from your embouchure loses a lot of heat on
expansion, so your mouthpiece heats up, leaving much cooler air to travel
through the horn.  To transfer heat through the horn, it is most efficient
to remove the mouthpiece and blow directly into the leadpipe.  You can get
your mouthpiece warm by holding it in your hand, until you reach age 60 or
so. :(

> 40 below is also why I suggest to try it out on an old horn.

Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?  (tech-joke)

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }