On 26 Nov, 2003, at 2:39 pm, Dan Phillips wrote: re the Paxman 23

a couple of the valve slides already had green crud deposits. The second valve appeared to be misaligned and created a distinct timbre change.

Those effect an individual horn, not the design, but these are interesting:

Additionally, the horn was quite heavy,

My yellow medium bell 23 weighs almost exactly 5 lbs on my kitchen scale.

On Engelbert Schmid's website, his famously light double horn weighs 4.5 lbs

Can we please have some other horn weights for comparison?

It might not be a fascinating subject but it's mildly interesting 8-)

and the valve lever travel is greater than almost any other horn I've played.

I measured the outermost tip of my valve lever travel at 12mm (same as the bore, is that significant or coincidental?)

Anyone else?

All the best,
Tom

-- My ol' grandaddy taught me to always; post in plain text, quote only that portion to which you are replying, post replies at the bottom.