On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> And to the valves, they simply will not be fast enough unless your
> fingers are fast enough.

Has anyone ever measured the time it takes for a valve to change
positions?  Is it on the order of a hundredth of a second?

Of course, it should take less time going down under the influence of your
finger, than coming back by spring power.

Last week while I was in the pit playing Ruddigore, I found during a fast
fingerful passage that I was whacking the keys down - that is, my fingers
left the keys on the way up so as to already have full velocity at the
moment of contact with the keys.  I'm not sure that was really helpful,
but it felt good, and it seemed to be more work to restrain myself.
Paddlewhacking probably reduces string life though.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }