Clayton Whetmore, here:
David Goldberg wrote:

Last week while I was in the pit playing Ruddigore, I found during a fast
fingerful passage that I was whacking the keys down - that is, my fingers
left the keys on the way up so as to already have full velocity at the
moment of contact with the keys.  I'm not sure that was really helpful,
but it felt good, and it seemed to be more work to restrain myself.
Paddlewhacking probably reduces string life though.

To which William replied:

"Paddlewhacking," eh? I think I have a new vocabulary word :)

The etymology of paddlewhacking may have actually been derived from the name of an infamous bank teller whose story bears retelling:

   A frog goes into a bank and approaches the teller. He can see from
   her nameplate that her name is Patricia Whack.

"Miss Whack, I'd like to get a $30,000 loan to take a holiday."

   Pattie looks at the frog in disbelief and asks his name. The frog
   says his name is Kermit Jagger, his dad is Mick Jagger, and that
   it's okay, he knows the bank manager.

   Pattie explains that he will need to secure the loan with some
   collateral.

   The frog says, "Sure. I have this," and produces a tiny porcelain
   elephant, about half an inch tall - bright pink and perfectly formed.

   Very confused, Pattie explains that she'll have to consult with the
   bank manager and disappears into a back office. She finds the
   manager and says, "There's a frog called Kermit Jagger out there who
   claims to know you and wants to borrow $30,000, and he wants to use
   THIS as collateral." She holds up the tiny pink elephant. "I mean,
   what in the world IS this?"

The bank manager looks back at her and says...

   "It's a knickknack, Pattie Whack. Give the frog a loan. His old
   man's a Rolling Stone."