Yes, Japan is different, also China. But the methods are different too.
The illiteracy in these countries is very, very low. Music education is
very popular, but expensive (Japan). It seems, that it is part of the
curriculum in grammar & middle schools, so the youth receives basic
music education free.

But here in Germany:
There was a time span of nearly twenty years, when music education fell
to nearly zero in grammar schools & middle schools. After that, they
began with the Orff Music Education again in Kindergarten. It is fun for
the children, but it seems as if it did not help much. School orchestras
? Most of them gone. Some classic schools, very few, still have a school
orchestra. School bands ? Not here in Germany.

General music education to lead the young folks to the understanding &
enjoyment of classical & romantic music has become nearly extinct. With
classes consisting of more than 50% of Turcs, Serbocroats, Albanians,
etc. in certain areas, special in the cities - how can you teach all of
them ? Not only music, everything ? With all the violence, special by
people from war torn countries. I meet them day by day in the subway.

If political parties & groups are more concerned about wearing a
head-cloth or not, having the cross in the class room or not, if girls
are allowed to participate on swimming courses or not, something might
be wrong.

It were the same, if we would discuss for months or years about vibrato
or not (do we ?) or stopping plus transposing up or down (do we ?),
instead of preparing the young players with correct attack, tone
quality, phrasing, expressing something with the music. Yes, we do
similar, e.g. talking (too much) about breathing, instead telling them
to breath as normal. Etc, etc, etc --- never ending. We are still inside
the tunnel........