Strange as it may seem now, I took 2 Old English / Middle English Lit
courses 35 years ago as an undergrad. The professor was Donald Sands, whose
book Middle English Verse Romances (Exeter Medieval English Texts and
Studies), is a classic anthology.  I pulled a few dusty books off the guest
room  shelves and looked through some of the Old English poems we studied.

 žaes ofereode - žisses swa maeg is from an anonymous Old English poem
"Deor" and means  "that passed away: so may this."   You can hear it read in
Old English at
http://www.heorot.dk/deor.html

Cheers,
Steven Ovitsky