He lived from 1739-1813. This puts him firmly in the Classical period if not
the very late Baroque. I'm not familiar with his pieces, however from the time
period high Eb's aren't uncommon, and in some compositions and cadenzas were
played quite often. Of course since they did not have valves they would have
played it on a much shorter instrument.

I'd have to hear the piece to know whether or not that particular brightness
of the horn is needed. My guess is that if it adds to the piece, then play it.
It's only an Eb :P

Sometimes though it is better to be safe than sorry, and to be safe I would
probably just give high Bb horns to some trumpet players if I was scoring
everything out for a performance. You'll get a ultra bright sound though, and as
far as I think it's not copping out or anything if you wanted to do that.

Of course if push came to shove and I had to play it, or if I had to give the
part to someone and didn't want to make any enemies I'd shift it down an
octave definately.

-William